Posts tagged Strategic Development
Performance Management is about a cycle of Planning – Doing and Reviewing
Planning is about…
- Planning what the organisation wants to achieve for the year
- Planning objectives for employees
- Making sure employees are focused
- Making sure employees have the skills to deliver
- Making sure employees feel motivated to deliver
Doing is about….
- Creating Action Plans
- Ensuring the right things are done day to day
- Empowering employees but keeping in touch as a manager via 121s
- Coaching for performance
- Nipping underperformance in the bud
Reviewing is about….
- An annual review at minimum
- Encouraging managers and leaders to have regular 121s
- A formal opportunity to recognise results
- Ensuring employees have quality 121 time with their manager
- Re-establishing objectives for the year ahead
What are the tips for a good performance management process?
A good performance management process will have….
- An opportunity to capture performance results / successes.
- An opportunity to give feedback, positive or constructive.
- An opportunity to give praise and recognition for performance
- An opportunity to step away from micro-management by empowering employees.
- An opportunity to get the best out of people and teams.
- An opportunity to refocus for the year to come.
- An opportunity to clarify goals and targets for the year to come.
- An opportunity to identify any skills gaps.
- An opportunity to communicate what the organisation is trying to achieve.
- An opportunity to clarify objectives for employees.
I often hear the quote “What gets measured gets done” often attributed to Peter Drucker, a recognised leadership guru. I believe that this is a fundamental element of what is commonly known as Performance Management. However Performance Management encompasses so much more…
- Performance Management is all about getting the best out of employees to achieve organisational or business goals.
- Performance Management is a cycle of planning what the organisation wants to achieve, doing tasks and reviewing to see what has been achieved.
- Performance Management is about linking strategy / business plans with employees work.
- Performance Management is about making sure that resources are prioritised to achieve organisational goals.
- Performance Management is about clarifying targets and goals for individuals.
- Performance Management is about making sure that employees understand their role in the organisation or business.
- Performance Management is about making sure that employees know what is expected of them in their jobs.
- Performance Management is not just about what employees need to achieve but also “how” they behave at work.
- Performance Management is a process to manage employees professionally.
- Performance Management is not just the annual performance review; it is more about managing employees day to day on the job.
Whether you have just one employee or 5000 a good performance management process can add value to your business – contact me for more details about how you can manage performance in a practical way
Business Coaching: about enhancing business performance
Business Mentoring: coaching in a particular aspect of the business eg Finance
Career Coaching: about enhancing career prospects
Life Coaching: about enhancing personal satisfaction in life
Executive Coaching deals with all of the above areas.Typically an executive coach will work to build self-awareness and responsibilty that will lead to sustainable change. More >
Is change affecting you directly either at home or at work?
Do you know where you want to be in 20 years time and would you like to know how to get there?
If so then Enabling Transitions will make it happen.
Transitions are when an individual, team or organisation “move” from one place, state, form or style to another. It could be a career transition, a life transition, culture change or organisational restructure. Transitions are “change”
The world of work and business is changing rapidly at the moment and there seems to be a high level of economic uncertainty. For many people this constant and rapid change can make them feel out of control. This in turn can create distress and stress. If you are a business leader having to manage Change can be equally as difficult and stressful. One way of combating the impact of change is to get in control and if you are a leader help others to understand Change. Here are 10 Quick Tips to boost your ability to cope with Change. More >
Being a technical expert in your field will have got you to a certain level in your business or career, however the more successful you are the more it is necessary to demonstrate a wider portfolio of skills. Often you may find you are doing less of the job you are a technical expert in, and now maybe you are leading a team? Or needing to be more strategic? Or building client relationships, etc. Maybe you want to get to the next level with your business or career but something is holding you back?
The skills required are often referred to as “behavioural” skills. Being aware of your strengths and development needs with these skills will help you progress and become a more “rounded” strategic operator.
In the current climate where we all seem to be needing to do more with less, whether it is more tasks to do with less time or less cost. Being efficient and effective with your planning can impact on how well you use your time and what you achieve. Planning effectively can also help you to feel less stressed and in more control. Here are some handy tips to improve your ability to plan
Do you struggle with decision making? Do you spend time weighing up what to do? Do you find you procrastinate on making decisions? If this sounds like you then here are some quick tips for making decisions. More >
In times of economic uncertainty good Leadership is even more crucial. Are you a Manager or are you a Leader? Are you the sort of Leader your people want to work for? Do you know what you need to do to develop your Leadership ability? Here are some tips to boost your Leadership ability. More >